Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ode to Dan

Not sure if you all heard.....Dan Folgerberg died this morning after 3 years of battle with prostate cancer. Here's to Dan. May he rest peacefully in heaven.

Do you guys all know this song?

***

Met my old lover in the grocery store
The snow was falling christmas eve
I stole behind her in the frozen foods
And I touched her on the sleeve

She didnt recognize the face at first
But then her eyes flew open wide
She went to hug me and she spilled her purse
And we laughed until we cried.

We took her groceries to the checkout stand
The food was totalled up and bagged
We stood there lost in our embarrassment
As the conversation dragged.

We went to have ourselves a drink or two
But couldnt find an open bar
We bought a six-pack at the liquor store
And we drank it in her car.

We drank a toast to innocence
We drank a toast to now
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness
But neither one knew how.

She said shed married her an architect
Who kept her warm and safe and dry
She would have liked to say she loved the man
But she didnt like to lie.

I said the years had been a friend to her
And that her eyes were still as blue
But in those eyes I wasnt sure if I saw
Doubt or gratitude.

She said she saw me in the record stores
And that I must be doing well
I said the audience was heavenly
But the traveling was hell.

We drank a toast to innocence
We drank a toast to now
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness
But neither one knew how.

We drank a toast to innocence
We drank a toast to time
Reliving in our eloquence
Another auld lang syne...

The beer was empty and our tongues were tired
And running out of things to say
She gave a kiss to me as I got out
And I watched her drive away.

Just for a moment I was back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain --

3 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

I have been going around singing Leader of the Band all afternoon and my eyes keep tearing up. His songs were mini stories of life. Very few write (and sing so well too) from the current crop of music players.

Anonymous said...

he was one of my favorites growing up I couldn't believe when I heard!

Theresa Tyree said...

Oh, how sad. That's one of my most favorite songs of all time. It always brings a tear to my eye everytime I hear it. I didn't know he died. It's sad because prostrate cancer is one of the easiest treated cancers with early detection. That shouldn't have happened.